Oven Roasted Catfish and Crawfish Primavera in a Bag
1 Tblspn flour
2-6 oz. fillets of catfish
2 tspn Cajun spice blend
1⁄2 lb. crawfish tails
1⁄2 red bell pepper, julienned
1⁄2 green bell pepper, julienned
10 fresh asparagus spears, cooked
8 quartered artichoke hearts
1 Tblspn minced garlic
1 tspn granulated garlic
1⁄2 tspn salt
1⁄2 tspn hot sauce
1⁄4 cup white wine
6 sprigs fresh thyme
6 sprigs fresh dill weed
4 lemon slices
4 Tblspn chilled butter
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cut parchment paper into 2 heart shapes big enough to accommodate fish and
ingredient toppings with enough room to crease paper shut.
3. Dust parchment with equal amounts of flour. Season each filet of catfish with equal amounts
of Cajun spice blend and lay flat on one side of parchment.
4. In a small bowl place crawfish tails, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, asparagus spears,
artichoke hearts, minced garlic, salt and hot sauce. Toss together until seasoning coats mixture.
5. Place equal amounts of seasoned crawfish vegetable mixture on top of catfish filets. Pay
attention to divide vegetables equally between catfish filets. Drizzle each filet with white wine.
6. Equally spread sprigs of thyme, dill weed, lemon slices and butter over fish. Fold
parchment over fish and seal bag tightly by creasing from one end to the other.
7. Place on sheet pan, place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, carefully place parchment on plates and carefully cut open bag when ready to serve.
“This dish looks great! ...but if you are salt/sodium sensitive and/or fat conscious, here are a few
simple changes that will help bring those numbers down to a healthier and more manageable level.”
a.) Decrease salt to 1⁄4 tsp or eliminate entirely using an herb based, no salt seasoning or more spice if you like.
b.) Decrease the Cajun spice blend or use a no-salt Cajun seasoning blend.
c.) Decrease butter by half to 2 tablespoons.
d.) Decrease the crawfish to 4 ounces of tail meat (but who wants to do that!)
~Mandy Armentor, MS, RD, LDN
LSU AgCenter Area Nutrition Agent,
Vermilion/Iberia Parish Extension Service