Grilled Red Snapper with Lump Crab Cheese Sauce
2 lb of red snapper fillets, 6 fillets
½ lb of white lump crab meat, about 1 cup
1/2 stick butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
5 oz can of evaporated milk
1 egg yolk, beaten
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Tbsp Creole seasoning
1 tsp Paprika
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1. In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and celery to the mixture and cook on low-medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
2. Add the flour and stir until combined and lightly browned.
3. Add the evaporated milk, egg yolk, cheese, seasoning, and stir continuously until the cheese has melted.
4. Gently stir in the crab meat and cook on low heat for 5 minutes to heat through.
5. Heat grill or cast iron skillet to medium/low heat. Add olive oil to coat the surface. Season fillets, add to grill. Squeeze juice of half a lemon to each fillet. Grill for 10 minutes until done. Filets should be steamed, not charred.
6. Halve each fillet into appetizer portions.
7. Top with sauce, garnish with green onions and paprika.
520 calories. 20g fat (10g saturated fat, 240mg cholesterol.) 1,240mg sodium. 14g carbohydrates (2g fiber, 4g sugar.) 60g protein.
Serves 12 appetizer portions. Or 6 dinner portions
Lower Fat: 222 kcal (5g fats, 7g carbohydrates, 29g protein.) Reduce butter to 2 Tbsp. Opt for non fat evaporated milk. Choose reduced-fat cheese. Note: low fat cheese will not melt appropriately for this dish.
Lower Carbohydrate: 285 kcal (14g fats, 5g carbohydrates, 29g protein.) Substitute ¼ tsp xanthan gum for flour. Substitute heavy cream for evaporated milk.
Lower Sodium: 264 kcal (5g fats, 7g carbohydrates, 30g protein, 384mg sodium.)Opt for salt-free cajun seasoning.
Dairy-free: 237 kcal (8g fats, 6g of carbohydrates, 29g protein.) Substitute 2 Tbsp coconut oil for butter. Substitute unsweetened cashew milk for evaporated milk.
Gluten-free: 261 kcal (10g fats, 6g carbohydrates, 30g protein.) Substitute ¼ tsp xanthan gum for flour. Ensure cajun seasoning is gluten-free.