Pecan Crusted Catfish with Spicy Lemon Beurre Blanc
By coating the catfish in the pecans you achieve a crunch nutty exterior that is a unique change from the more traditional coating of flour or breadcrumbs. The spicy lemon butter sauce is a nice compliment to the fish.
1 lb (4 filets) Louisiana catfish
½ c milk
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
½ tsp salt
1 c flour
6 Tbsp butter
½ c pecan pieces, minced
1 lemon, sliced
½ c white wine
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
½ tsp hot sauce
1. Combine egg and milk in a small mixing bowl and beat together.
2. Divide Cajun Seasoning and salt between egg batter
3. Place pecan pieces in a medium bowl.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
5. Dredge catfish filets one at a time into seasoned flour, then into egg-milk batter.
6. Then dredge one side into pecan pieces pressing pecan pieces into fish and then dredge other side of fish filet into flour.
7. Place catfish pecan side down into sauté pan and cook 4-5 minutes until browned, being careful not to burn pecans.
8. Turn over catfish and brown on other side and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
9. Remove from pan and set aside.
10. Add lemon slices and cook for 1 minute. Add white wine and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
11. Lower fire as low as it will go and stir in remaining butter, Cajun Seasoning, hot sauce and salt. Cook until butter melts.
12. Top filets with lemon slices and butter sauce.
32g Fat (13g Saturated fat, 175mg Cholesterol.) 1060mg Sodium. 31g Carbohydrates (3g Fiber, 3g Total sugar.) 29g Protein.
Lower Fat: Most of the fat in this dish is sourced from heart-healthy pecans. However, you may reduce fat by using cooking spray to cook catfish and low fat butter spread such as Smart Balance Light for sauce, and reduce to 1.5 Tbsp. 430 Calories.
Lower Carbohydrate: Omit flour step. 430 Calories. 32g Fat (13g Saturated fat, 175mg Cholesterol.) 1060mg Sodium. 7g Carbohydrates (2g Fiber, 3g Total sugar.) 25g Protein.
Lower Sodium: Use salt substitute and salt-free Cajun seasoning such as Cajun180 La Cajun Gold “No-Salt” and unsalted butter to reduce sodium to 92mg.
Dairy-free: Use vegan butter or margarine reduces Saturated Fats to 6g and Cholesterol to 129mg.
Gluten-free: Use gluten-free flour and ensure Cajun seasoning is gluten-free.