Black Drum Creole
3 pounds Black Drum
2 tablespoons, plus 1 tablespoon, Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup onions, chopped
1⁄2 cup chopped celery
1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
One 6-oz. can tomato paste
One 8-oz. can tomato sauce
One 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup ketchup
2 cups chicken broth
1 lemon, sliced
2 bay leaves
1⁄4 cup minced green onions
1⁄4 cup minced parsley
6 cups cooked rice*
1. Portion out Black Drum into 4 ounce portions. Season with seasoning and set aside for use later in the recipe.
2. In a large sauce pot big enough to hold all ingredients, heat butter. Add onion, celery, green and red bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic, thyme, Cajun seasoning and hot sauce. Cook for an additional minute. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, ketchup, chicken broth, lemon slices and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Lay seasoned Black Drum portions on top of sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Be careful not to overcook fish.
5. Ladle serving around 1 cup of cooked white rice. Garnish with a generous portion of green onions and parsley.
704 kcal. 19g Fat (6g Saturated Fat, 202mg Cholesterol.) 74.3g Carbohydrates (5g Fiber, 18.9g Sugar.) 58.5g Protein. 2044mg Sodium.
Lower fat: Swap non-fat cooking spray for butter. Reduce fish to 2 pounds of 6 equal portions. 557 kcal (11 g fat, 74 g carbohydrates, 42 g protein.)
Lower Carbohydrates: Substitute ketchup with additional 8oz can of tomato sauce, 1-2 Tbsp allulose or light agave syrup & 1 tsp vinegar. Substitute cauliflower rice. 484 kcal (19 g fat, 24 g carbohydrates, 56 g protein
Lower sodium: Swap cajun seasoning for a salt-free version. Opt for low-sodium ketchup, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce & chicken broth. 722 kcal (19 g fat, 74 g carbohydrates, 60 g protein, and 245 mg sodium.)
Gluten-free: Ensure that cajun seasoning blend is gluten-free.
Dairy-free: Substitute Olive or Avocado oil for butter.